Thursday, December 11, 2008

How Bad Is It Going To Get?

The price of gas has gone down again today - good in a way but terrible in another. With our economy relying so heavily on the price of oil, I can't help but wonder how bad it's actually going to get. Mines in the province are laying employees off left, right and centre and it appears to be an issue everywhere, not just here. Even more bleak are the predictions that it's all going to get worst before it starts to get better.....God, how depressing and stressful. I just want to crawl under a rock and stay there.

There have been a good many days in the last year where I have really regretted leaving Iqaluit, and sometimes when I've sat down and really thought about it, the pros and cons of the move have pretty well evened out. Yet, in the last couple of days the regret has grown into a feeling so compounding that it almost hurts to breath. I can't help but think that if we had remained in Iqaluit, the current economic crisis wouldn't seem to effect us as much as it will here. Neither of us had jobs in Iqaluit that would have been subject to lay-offs like here...But I guess there's really no point in thinking about what we should have done. No one can predict the future and no one really knew that any of this crap was going to happen, right? I know that we will get by for the next year or so, we really won't have a choice in the matter. I imagine that right now, we are in a better situation than a lot of other people who are also getting lay-offs right before Christmas. I just can't help but wish things looked a little more hopeful than they do....

Quote of the Day:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

No comments: