Friday, December 5, 2008

Thoughts...

The Weekend:
Let's hear a big hooray for the weekend because if this week had been much longer, I would have truly lost my mind. Unfortunately there isn't any relaxation in my future for tomorrow. The hubby and I are heading to Corner Brook on a shopping expedition. I'm referring to it as an expedition because I'm sure that the crowds are going to be so horrible that we'll have to fight our way down store aisles much similar to the way one would fight his/her way through a jungle.

The Weather:
Holy Christ, we do not have any snow - not one bit! In fact, the rain was pouring down earlier. Here I am, getting ready to decorate for Christmas inside the house and out and nothing in the great outdoors is even resembling Christmas.

The Current Political Turmoil:
I usually don't comment on politics and have never taken a real interest in it. I have no desire to get into a heated argument with someone who is, let's refer to it as, extremely passionate about the subject. So with my fingers crossed that I'm not opening a huge can of worms, I will say this to those fellow Canadians appalled by the actions of our Members of Parliament:

If (and I say IF) a coalition government is formed - which I am neither for or against at this point in time - your vote is not being ignored. When you casted your vote in October, did you vote for the Conservative Party because you wanted Stephen Harper as our Prime Minister? Or, did you vote for [insert candidate name] because of the grounds on which they were running? We did not cast a vote specifically for Stephen Harper as our PM - in fact, that option wasn't even on our ballots. We voted for and elected our MPs. As it so happens, the majority of Canadians did not vote for a Conservative Government - the Liberals, NDP, Bloc, etc. actually received more seats combined than the Conservatives. Thus, giving the Conservatives a minority government. Now, if the Conservatives cannot show the rest of Parliament that they are capable of effectively running our government, the majority of seat holders should be well within their right to form a coalition. Remember, these members were also elected because some Canadian voters felt that they were the best choice. So you see, this is part of the democratic process.

That said, I do think that both leading parties would be much better off finding new leaders. The Conservatives need to realize that Stephen Harper is an ass who can't really see beyond himself and the Liberals have a bit of a pansy/idiot in their mists.

Really though, I can't help but wish that we could somehow convince the US to trade Obama for Harper.

Quote of the Day:
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself." Lois McMaster Bujold

2 comments:

Quirky Christa said...

I don't disagree however in a city where you barely know who your MP is, I think most are guilty of voting for a party rather than the person. Small towns are different, you 'know' who the person is and if there's an issue in town you call their office up. That doesn't happen as often in bigger centres (or so it seems)

Angie said...

That's what I don't really like about the whole party system - people get too wrapped up in what party the candidate is running under.