Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Santa Claus is Coming...

Christmas Eve is exactly two weeks from today and it feels like I still have so much to do. No matter how hard I try, it just feels like I can't get organized this year. I still have to get gifts for my parents, stocking stuffers for the little guy, little gifts for the hubby's brother's kids.....the list just goes on and on. Time is definitely not on my side this year at all. The hubby was also supposed to pick out a new coat this year but hasn't, leaving me wondering what to do about him as well. Urrgghhh!!

Since this is the first Christmas in our house in Newfoundland, we also needed new outdoor lights which are still sitting in their boxes. We bought them on Saturday when we were in Corner Brook and Hubby hoped to get them up before he went back to work on Tuesday; that didn't happen on Sunday because we had to go visit his parents, and the wind was blowing too hard on Monday and Tuesday. So the lights will not go up until Dec. 22 when Hubby comes home again. Oh well....

Our local Santa Claus parade is scheduled to go ahead this Saturday. I can only wonder if this year's will be as pitiful as last year. To be quite honest, last year's was so pitiful that I can't imagine why they would even go through the effort to put one on this year. I think that there may have been 5 poorly decorated floats in the whole parade last year and that includes Santa Claus. It's a shame too because I can remember when the Santa Claus parade was a really big event around here and just about every organization and business had a float in it. To quote the Mummer's Song, "Times have gone modern, that must be the cause. Christmas is not like it was."

It's funny how true that line has become in the last ten or so years. I can remember when homes were always full of visitors during Christmas. A night did not go by when you didn't have a three or four families dropping by for a visit or when you didn't visit other families. Just about every night you'd get a few Mummers (or janees, as we call them here) knocking on your door. Tables were constantly full of treats that were kept out around the clock and the Christmas "cheer" flowed quite freely. It's sad how times have changed when you really sit down and think about it.

Quote of the Day:
"I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all year." Charles Dickens

2 comments:

Quirky Christa said...

I remember those good 'ol days. But we can keep the traditions even if other people don't :)

Angie said...

Unfortunately I'm not a good one to rely on for keeping the 'visiting' tradition alive. I am, by nature, a pretty anti-social person....or so I've been told. :)