Friday, October 10, 2008

Iqaluit, Nunavut VS. Small Town, Newfoundland

1. WEATHER

Iqaluit - There really are only 3 types of weather in Iqaluit; DAMN Cold, Not so Cold and Getting Cold...seriously though it's safe to say that you really don't get to enjoy all four seasons. Winter is too long and (for the most part) too cold. Spring/summer is way too brief to even be considered two separate seasons. Autumn arrives much too early and gracefully reminds you (like a slap in the face) that winter is fast approaching....again. That said, I really feel that I have to point out how beautiful everything looks in winter. There's just something about the way the sun shines in late afternoon on the frozen tundra....made even more prettier if it's so cold that there are ice crystals in the air.

Small Town, NL - Here we do have four seasons of reasonable length keeping in mind that you may experience weather from all four seasons in one day. Winter is bearable. Spring is wet and unpredictable. Summer is warm and sunny (well this summer was anyway), and autumn is long enough to enjoy all the colours and gently eases you back into the snowy season.

2. COST OF GROCERIES/HOUSEHOLD GOODS

Iqaluit - One word sums it up - EXPENSIVE. For example, 1 package of Charmin bathroom tissue (8 double rolls per package) costs ....wait for it....$12.99. Trust me, after paying this price for 7 years you end up with a whole new appreciation for toilet paper. However, after the initial shock wears off you pretty well tend not to even look at the prices. Hey, if you want it or need it, you buy it so there's no sense in stressing out over something you can't control. On the plus side though (and this always seems to surprise people) we did have fairly good selections at both groceries stores which were both only a 5 minute drive from our house.

Small Town, NL - Though the cost of everything is somewhat cheaper, the whole price value seems to even out with Iqaluit's once you factor in your gas cost. Why? Because, unfortunately, the nearest place to get a decent selection of groceries is a one hour drive away....which is totally inconvenient and completely sucks! To add insult to injury, the selection at the grocery stores in that bigger centre is not as good as the store in Iqaluit. So if I want to shop from a really good selection of groceries, I have to drive another 20 minutes on top of the hour to get a Superstore. Which suddenly throws any chance I had of saving money out the window because the Superstore has such a good selection that I buy much more than I actually need.

3. SOCIAL LIFE

Iqaluit - After seven years, we were pretty well known and had lots of friends. We were members of the Elk's Lodge which was at the centre of our social life - all of our friends hung out there. It was definitely a good place to go, quietly have a drink (or two...or three, you get the point), shoot a game of pool, play darts, chat, whatever. Everyone knows everyone, they all socialize together - great times. Even after our little guy was born, I still looked forward to my Saturday afternoons at the Elk's. As a members only establishment, children are permitted inside on Saturday afternoons from 12 to 5 giving me the opportunity to catch up with friends, and giving the little guy the opportunity to be fussed over by everyone there. Some may feel that there was something wrong with bringing my child to a drinking establishment but I don't drink so no problem.

Small Town, NL - Here, my social life is very simple - I don't have one! There are very few couples here our age and the ones that are here are very hesitant to have new acquaintances enter their little circles. Neither my husband or I are major party people and I don't drink so we don't really fit in with the crowd around here. So our socializing here mainly consists of visiting my parents or his parents, but mostly the three of us just staying home. I MISS THE ELK'S!

4. FAMILY

Iqaluit - It's hard to be so far away from your family but you get used to it. If you're like me, you may even start to enjoy it. I didn't realize it at the time but being off all on your own can actually be a positive thing. You don't ever have family dropping by unexpectedly, your mother doesn't always have her nose in your business because she's so far away, she doesn't even know what your doing. There are days when I really miss those times. However, it gets hard to be away from family when you have children because suddenly you realize that it is just you and it's kind of lonely.

Small Town, NL - Here, my family is too close to me sometimes. My mother can look out her window and see if we're home. When we're not, she questions where we were, how long were we gone, who'd we see....and so on. Not to mention that she may call four or five times a day and it's starting to drive me crazy. On the plus side though, they are there to look after our little fellow whenever we need them and he loves having his Nan and Pop around him so much.

5. WORK

Iqaluit - Even though the cost of living is higher, employment opportunities are pretty good and salaries are much better which means more money to save, to spend, to do whatever with.

Small Town, NL - crappy employment opportunities, crappy salaries but a slight lower cost of living. Even still though, we are still learning to be much more frugal with our money.

6. RESTAURANTS

Iqaluit - Yes there are a few restaurants though most are so expensive you tend to only go there on special occasions (or when someone else is paying). As for take-outs, there is The Snack which is open 24/7 and delivers. For the most part, the food isn't bad and the prices were fairly reasonable. My usual was the clubhouse platter which I thoroughly enjoyed. Some would say it's not as good as you can get around here but to be honest, I haven't found one here that I like as much and there are many nights when I crave The Snack's.

Small Town, NL - Local chicken & chips take-out. Not available 24/7, late at night (or right now, not available at all!) But serves fresh, slightly breaded, pressure cooked, deep fried chicken and home cut french fries. Add dressing and gravy (or hamburger meat and gravy, if that's you pleasure) for a real artery clogging treat. Enough said!

So I can't be quite sure who won this round. In some ways, Iqaluit is kind of leading which leave me to only one conclusion - I'm having one of those days when I miss it so I think I'll quietly leave you all to go bang my head against the wall.

Quote of the Day:
"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

No comments: