Friday, October 3, 2008

Reality Bites

Can you remember when you were a teenager? You know, those years when you couldn't wait until you finished school and set off into the sunset all on your own. The dreams you had, the freedom you craved......the bills you didn't need to pay....wait, hold on a minute here...bills, what?! Where did it all go wrong? Life wasn't supposed to be like this. I'm supposed to be carefree, loving life, living on the edge - I mean, come off it, this is the stuff that Aerosmith hits where made of. I'm not that old that I can't remember what it was like to be a teenager, right? Sure, in 8 days, I'll be thirty (God, it even pains me to type that) but that doesn't mean I still can't be cool and carefree, does it?

Okay, so I'll admit that all of my older cousins were right when they told me to enjoy my high school years because it would be among the best years of my life and they were, but does that mean there aren't any good times to come? There are days it certainly seems that way. The woes that I had as a teenage don't compare to the ones I have now. Sometimes I wish I could have stayed that carefree teenage; no mortgage to pay, no car payment to make, no household bills to worry about. This is when reality really bites me in the ass.

As I sit here writing this though, a picture of my adorable son stares back at me on my desk and you know what? His cute little smile and that mischievous glint in his eye make me realize that being an adult does have its perks after all. So even though reality does bite sometimes, I don't think it will leave a scar (or perhaps I am just too thick skinned to notice.)

Quote of the Day:
"If you spend all of your time looking back at yesterday, you are destined to trip over tomorrow." - Thomas Maher

No comments: