Monday, October 6, 2008

Little Angel

A former co-worker of my husband had a son pass away over the weekend. The little guy was diagnosed last December with a very rare and aggressive brain tumor; he was 15 months old at the time. He underwent surgery and a month of chemotherapy only to find out that the tumor had returned. He underwent surgery once again. Unfortunately the tumor affected every aspect of his young life and he lost his sight shortly after the first surgery. In May of this year, the family once again received the terrible news that David's tumor had returned but this time had attached itself to his spine leaving them with very few options. An MRI at the end July showed that David's tumor had only grown 1 cm in three months giving them hope that David would benefit from more chemotherapy; they agreed. However just before starting chemo in August, David suddenly started sleeping much more than normal and stopped talking and responding to others. A trip back to the hospital and another MRI showed that the tumor had exploded into different directions and there wasn't anymore that could be done for the little one. His body would continue to shut down bit by bit until he eventually left this world and it wouldn't be long.

Sadly, David left this world on Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 1:50 pm, at the tender age of 2, lying peacefully in his mommy's arms. It breaks my heart to no end to know what pain and suffering this little child went through in the last ten months, and the pain and suffering of what his family has gone through. I can only imagine the helplessness they have felt, watching their son go through this and not being able to prevent it. As a parent, I can feel the pain they are in at this time. They brought this precious being into this world and they were there when he left it.

I pray that this young family will have the strength to move on in life with the spirit of their little one watching over his mommy, daddy and older brother, for I really don't think that I would have the strength to face this sorrow. I hope that they can hold strong to their faith in God because again, I really don't believe that I would be able to hold strong to mine in this situation. I believe that children are precious blessings from God but I cannot help but question why God would put that precious child on this earth only to painfully rip him away. I cannot understand why there is supposed to be some comfort in the saying that "He is in God's arms now" because I am sure that she would rather he be in hers.

I know that there are no words that can offer any comfort to Chris, Sandra and Philip Freda at this time but they are in our thoughts and prayers. May David rest in peace in his beloved Zia Rosie's arms.

Quote of the Day:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal." - From a Tombstone in Ireland

2 comments:

Quirky Christa said...

Okay I'm trying not to cry at work reading this. My prayers are with David's family. We are so lucky and take too much for granted.

Angie said...

I know exactly what you mean. Joshua is only three months younger than David and I've cried so much for them in the past week, not to mention how much I have cried since finding out he was sick.