Friday, November 14, 2008

A Life of Its Own

The weirdest thing has been happening in my house over the last few months; some nights when we go to bed some of my son's toys come to life all on their own. Yes, I'm serious and no, I'm not losing my mind! Let me explain....

Like most children, the little guy has a lot of toys that are battery powered. The cool thing about some of these toys is that if left undisturbed after a long period of time it automatically goes into a power-saver mode much like a laptop. The toy has to be touched or moved somehow to power back up again. The weird thing about this is that some of these toys end up powering up in the middle of the night when everyone is in bed and no one is touching the toy. It all started with a toy garbage truck that someone gave the little guy last year for Christmas. When moved, the truck says, "Mmmm, garbage," or, "Phew, that stinks," but if left undisturbed, it does nothing at all. However, a couple of times a week, hours after we went to bed this thing would just start spouting off it's phrases when, obviously, no one was playing with it....freaky, right? It got so bad that I had no choice but take the batteries out of it.

This week the trouble starts all over again with one of my son's toy laptops. Wednesday night I'm in bed, the little guy is sleeping soundly next to me, all is quiet and suddenly the laptop goes off. "Select an activity." Needless to say, I got a little fright at first but then I realized what it was. So I got up and removed the batteries from that toy. Then this morning while both my son and I are in my room getting ready to leave, the other toy laptop (which was in the living room) goes off.

WTF is going on with these toys? It's really starting to freak me out. I mean, I'm not saying that I believe in ghosts or anything. Really, I can't say for sure. I've experienced unexplained happenings in my grandmother's house but there's a history there. My house doesn't really have a history, it's only 3 years old. So there's got to be a logical explanation for this, right? Well, what is it? Because I sure as hell can't think of a way to explain it.

Quote of the Day:
"From what we get, we can make a living. What we give, however, makes a life." Arthur Ashe

1 comment:

Myrna Hynes said...

So I have this weird belief in the "toy story" phenomenon. AND, Sarah also has this toy kitchen thing with lights and sounds and it sometimes starts up in the middle of the night too! Freaky!