Thursday, November 27, 2008

Weather or Not

Just when I was starting to enjoy the snow covered landscape, it up and rains. Yesterday was beautiful; sun shining (intermittently), slight bit of a chilly frost in the air, cool and crisp...and then last night it all came to an abrupt end. It must have been the earth flipping on its axis during the night that suddenly tossed my little outport on the northwest coast down to the Avalon near St. John's because, well let's face it, this crappy weather belongs out there. Where else in Newfoundland can you experience snow for two days and then rain the next?

The wind is certainly blowing a gail here today and apparently it did last night as well. I say apparently because I personally did not hear it, I am merely relying on the accounts of others who cannot sleep through rough weather. Fortunately for me, the weather has to be pretty bad before I can't sleep. Chalk it up to spending my whole life living on the coast of an island, I guess. I grew up with the wind constantly in my face and it was no different during those years I spent in Iqaluit. There it seemed that the wind would change direction just to spite me - in my face during my walk to work in the morning but still guaranteed to be in my face when I walked home in the evening.

Quote of the Day:
"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are sometimes right." Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No comments: